Sunday 28 October 2007

Today's Reading

Here's some more readings, this time for Sun 28 Oct (Luke 18: 9-14):

The Parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector

Jesus also told this parable to some who were confident that they were righteous and looked down on everyone else. “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed about himself like this: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: extortionists, unrighteous people, adulterers – or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of everything I get.’ The tax collector, however, stood far off and would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, be merciful to me, sinner that I am!’ I tell you that this man went down to his home justified rather than the Pharisee. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

I guess the message of this parable is if you think all you need is God's laws to enter heaven (live a good life, don't sin, obey all the laws of the church and the Old Testament), you are in for a rude awakening. You need Jesus and His guidance to enter heaven. And a prideful attitude is hardly gonna allow you to humbly ask Him 4 guidance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment