Thursday 13 December 2007

Today's Readings

Yet more readings for Thu 13 Dec (which is today):

Matthew 11: 11-15
“I tell you the truth, among those born of women, no one has arisen greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he is. From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and forceful people lay hold of it. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John appeared. And if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah, who is to come. The one who has ears had better listen!"

Isaiah 41: 13-20
For I am the Lord your God,
the one who takes hold of your right hand,
who says to you, ‘Don’t be afraid, I am helping you.’
Don’t be afraid, despised insignificant Jacob, men of Israel.
I am helping you,” says the Lord,
your protector, the Holy One of Israel.
“Look, I am making you like a sharp threshing sledge, new and double-edged.
You will thresh the mountains and crush them;
you will make the hills like straw.
You will winnow them and the wind will blow them away; the wind will scatter them.
You will rejoice in the Lord; you will boast in the Holy One of Israel.
The oppressed and the poor look for water, but there is none;
their tongues are parched from thirst.
I, the Lord, will respond to their prayers;
I, the God of Israel, will not abandon them.
I will make streams flow down the slopes
and produce springs in the middle of the valleys.
I will turn the desert into a pool of water
and the arid land into springs.
I will make cedars, acacias, myrtles, and olive trees grow in the wilderness;
I will make evergreens, firs, and cypresses grow together in the desert.
I will do this so people will observe and recognize,
so they will pay attention and understand
that the Lord’s power has accomplished this,
and that the Holy One of Israel has brought it into being.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment