Saturday 9 August 2008

Tiday's Bible Readings (Memorial of Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross)

Today is Sat 9 Aug and here are the readings:

Habakkuk 1: 12 — 2: 4
Lord, you have been active from ancient times;
my sovereign God, you are immortal.
Lord, you have made them your instrument of judgment.
Protector, you have appointed them as your instrument of punishment.
You are too just to tolerate evil; you are unable to condone wrongdoing.
So why do you put up with such treacherous people?
Why do you say nothing when the wicked devour those more righteous than they are?
You made people like fish in the sea; like animals in the sea that have no ruler.
The Babylonian tyrant pulls them all up with a fishhook;
he hauls them in with his throw net.
When he catches them in his dragnet, he is very happy.
Because of his success he offers sacrifices to his throw net and burns incense to his dragnet;
for because of them he has plenty of food, and more than enough to eat.
Will he then continue to fill and empty his throw net?
Will he always destroy nations and spare none?

I will stand at my watch post;
I will remain stationed on the city wall.
I will keep watching, so I can see what he says to me
and can know how I should answer
when he counters my argument.

The Lord responded:
“Write down this message! Record it legibly on tablets,
so the one who announces it may read it easily.
For the message is a witness to what is decreed;
it gives reliable testimony about how matters will turn out.
Even if the message is not fulfilled right away, wait patiently;
for it will certainly come to pass – it will not arrive late.
Look, the one whose desires are not upright will faint from exhaustion,
but the person of integrity will live because of his faithfulness.


Matthew 17: 14-20
When they came to the crowd, a man came to Jesus, knelt before him, and said, “Lord, have mercy on my son, because he has seizures and suffers terribly, for he often falls into the fire and into the water. I brought him to your disciples, but they were not able to heal him.” Jesus answered, “You unbelieving and perverse generation! How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I endure you? Bring him here to me.” Then Jesus rebuked the demon and it came out of him, and the boy was healed from that moment. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why couldn’t we cast it out?” He told them, “It was because of your little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; nothing will be impossible for you.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment